Food, Product, What I Ate Wednesday

What I Ate Wednesday (WIAW)

wiaw

As I mentioned in both my Weekly Meals and Weekly Workouts posts this week I’m running my 1st half marathon of 2016 on Sunday. This means my usual sneaking in a few chocolates here, a couple chips there and maybe having some buttery microwaved popcorn at work needs to stop (temporarily). I have such a sensitive stomach eating 1 wrong this can mess me up for days so I have to be extra careful with my eating before a race.

A few months ago I read an article Kellen at A Cup of Kellen wrote after running her first full marathon titled “20 things I wish I knew before running a marathon”. After reading this my view on eating and running completely changed by 1 simple statement she made:

“Eat to run, don’t run to eat”

That simple little statement hit home. I’m so guilty of finishing an awesome training run and immediately going home and stuffing my with a bagel and cream cheese for breakfast, pizza for lunch then getting froyo for dessert because “I earned it”. Well, sucks when I wake up the next feeling awful and sluggish. “Eat to run, don’t run to eat”. I’m really working on changing my mindset from “I earned this crappy food” to “what food can I eat that will make my runs even better” and it’s made such a difference in both my recovery time and training.

This “What I Ate Wednesday” (which is actually what I ate on Tuesday) is to show you all what I typically eat in a day leading up to a big race. It’s not perfect, but hey it works.

For more information on what “WIAW” is all about click here.

What I Ate Wednesday (WIAW):

6:45 am: Lately I can hardly handle putting creamer into my coffee much less actually preparing breakfast. But today I did manage to get down my usual cup of coffee.

7:45 am: I was running late as usual so for breakfast I just toasted a piece of Cinnamon Raisin Ezekiel bread and smeared about 1 Tbsp of peanut butter from Sprouts on top. Easy, healthy, filling breakfast to go.

wiaw

8:30 am: I was already starving…shocker. So I started sipping on my Green Detox Drink and a big cup of green tea. I’ve added a couple new things to my detox drink since everyone in the world is sick right now. I now add 1 packet of Emergen-C for a vitamin C boost and 1 scoop of Amazing Grass Green SuperFood powder for probiotics and extra nutrients (more on this amazing product later).

wiaw

wiaw

wiaw

10:30 am: Break time! Individual Fage yogurts were on sale for only $.88 at Sprouts this weekend so I stocked up. I topped my Fage with some granola for a little sweetness and texture. This specific granola was a chocolate one from the bulk section at Sprouts…yum.

wiaw

12:00 pm: a few cashews…

1:00 pm: Whenever I don’t have enough leftovers from dinner the night before my go to lunch is either a salmon patty from Costco or an Amy’s bowl. Today was an Amy’s bowl, specifically a Broccoli & Cheddar Bake…YUM! I discovered Amy’s bowls a couple years ago when my coworker Cara at Nutrition Milestones was pregnant. She seriously ate an Amy’s bowl every single day for lunch and it got me hooked…actually by the end of her pregnancy I think everyone in our office was hooked. But hey they’re cheap, have about 20g of protein, only 350-400 calories and are VERY satisfying.

You can find Amy’s bowls the cheapest at Target, Ralph’s and Sprouts (at least that I’ve found) and check out all the different bowls here.

wiaw

3:30 pm: I always try to have my pre-workout snack around this time so it’s totally digested by the time I make it to the gym/ yoga/ run or whatever I’m doing at 7:00 pm after work. Today I had a peanut butter Perfect Bar. I LOVE these bars because they fill me up and are not full of crap. Some other great things about Perfect Bars:

• non-GMO
  • sweetened with honey and dates- no refined sugars
  • whole food protein
  • 20 hidden super foods like kale, spinach, alfalfa, celery…etc
  • gluten free
  • kosher

wiaw

5:30 pm: I had 2 rice cakes. I eat so much throughout the day- just a little grazing here and there haha!

8:00 pm: Post workout protein shake time! I blended half a frozen banana with 1 scoop Isoflex and unsweetened vanilla almond milk and chug it down.

8:30 pm: DINNER! I know I eat so late but it’s honestly the only way I can fit everything into my schedule. Tonight’s dinner was suppose to be Crockpot Salsa Chicken Thighs but I couldn’t find my usual chicken at Costco so had to improvise with some turkey that I added onion, green pepper and taco seasoning to and ate over a salad of lettuce, corn, black beans, tomatoes, brown rice, black olives and avocado.

wiaw

10:00 pm: A cup of peppermint tea and 2 chocolate squares to finally relax and unwind. Goodnight!

wiaw

My question is, what do YOU do to “reward” yourself after an awesome run, going to the gym for a week straight or just having a great week of clean eating? …some new Lululemon? Put a few bucks away for a trip?

• Reply Alyssa January 13, 2016 at 7:54 am

I love amy’s products! That dinner looks delish. I love rewarding myself with new clothes. Can’t afford lulu haaha but I love going to TJ maxx or marshalls for some new workout clothes, love getting iced coffee after a workout or yoga class too 🙂 xoxo

• Reply Diana Becker January 13, 2016 at 11:51 am

I have found some of my favorite workout gear from TJ Maxx…it’s like treasure hunting! I love that idea of iced coffee- I never treat myself to nice coffee but post workout is a perfect time to do so.

• Reply Amanda @ Exploring Life & Things January 13, 2016 at 9:33 am

That phrase is so true and I should keep that in mind more often. I can also be guilty of feeling like I deserve everything in the kitchen when I finish a run haha. Those Perfect Bars look delicious!

• Reply Diana Becker January 13, 2016 at 12:13 pm

It’s such a simple concept but so important. You have to try Perfect Bars if you haven’t. Sprouts and costco carry them 🙂

• Reply Sheena @ Paws and Pavement January 13, 2016 at 11:32 am

Such a great reminder how to to eat. I usually start thinking about what I’m going to eat during a long run but I try to make a healthier version of a splurge. I also throw in extra carbs which is my splurge to fuel for a long run so that way I feel like I’m getting a treat. I love E-mergenc, I swear by it this time of year when I don’t get sick and everyone else does. Plus I think having a healthy strong immune system (from working out/eating healthy) is key too!

• Reply Diana Becker January 13, 2016 at 12:13 pm

Thank you so much! Oh I swear by Emergen-C too…I have a packet every single day! Thanks so much for stopping by 🙂

• Reply Kellen January 13, 2016 at 3:34 pm

Agh I LOVE this! I’m having to re-learn how to “eat to run” again. Lately, I’ve been rewarding myself with a cup of chocolate milk or some Nuun. I also have an omelette or some egg concoction with lots of veggies, spinach, and bacon after long runs to keep me satisfied.

• Reply Diana Becker January 13, 2016 at 4:46 pm

Nuun is a lifesaver! I drink it for everything from running to nursing hangovers haha! I need to get back into eggs- a veggie omelet with cottage cheese inside (gross I know) use to be my go to post workout meal. Awesome suggestions 🙂

• Reply Heidi Kokborg January 14, 2016 at 7:27 am

I love the qoute about eating to run and not the other way around. Like you I tend to want to treat myself a little more if I did a killer workout. Not that there is anything wrong with a bit of chocolate or a little sweet treat but not all the time. I’ll keep this qoute in mind!

• Reply Diana Becker January 14, 2016 at 8:18 am

Exactly! Every once in awhile a treat is fine but when it becomes after every run…we’ve got an issue haha! Thanks so much for stopping by 🙂

• Reply Kat January 15, 2016 at 7:15 am

I eat constantly throughout the day, so don’t feel bad about that. I seriously feel like Im always hungry! I love treating myself at night with a mug of tea and dark chocolate. Peppermint tea is pretty much my favorite tea of all time, so it’s typically a mug of that. OR I get a little crazy and make a homemade peppermint hot cocoa. You know, just combine the two with a shot of whip cream. Perfection 😉

• Reply Diana Becker January 15, 2016 at 8:58 am

Homemade peppermint hot cocoa? Ummm recipe please 🙂

• Reply Beverley @ sweaty&fit January 15, 2016 at 8:15 am

i totally agree – sometimes its so easy to have the mindset of earning a ‘cheat meal’ after working your ass off at the gym or your run. and i truly believe that we should! But to an extent of course.
    Also I LOVE Amy’s food. I’ve never tried that broccoli pasta bowl though, it looks so creamy and delicious!
    Beverley @ sweaty&fit recently posted…What I Ate Friday: Changing up your dinner routineMy Profile

• Reply Diana Becker January 15, 2016 at 9:09 am

You have to try the broccoli cheddar bake and the mexican casserole…so good!

• Reply Lauren January 15, 2016 at 3:27 pm

Next training cycle, I definitely need to focus more on eating to run!! Great point.

• Reply Diana Becker January 15, 2016 at 3:57 pm

It really does makes such a big difference! Do you have a race coming up anytime soon?

• Reply Emily January 15, 2016 at 9:53 pm

After recovering from an ED and really moving on, praise the LORD, I think I also regained my appetite. I’m so much hungrier than I used to be, and thankfully my body is keeping up with it. <3

• Reply Diana Becker January 16, 2016 at 6:15 am

That’s wonderful Emily. Recovery is a process and gets better every day 🙂 Thanks for stopping by!

• Reply rachel @ athletic avocado January 17, 2016 at 5:05 pm

I am so jealous that your Fage yogurt is so cheap, I wish I had a sprouts where i live, they are usually $2.00 a piece or more! I agree, eat to run, not run to eat, what a great saying!
    rachel @ athletic avocado recently posted…Favorite Links of the Week 1/17My Profile

• Reply Diana Becker January 17, 2016 at 6:26 pm

It’s usually at least $1.50 here so the only time I buy it is when it’s on sale. Thanks so much for visiting the blog 🙂