Food, Nutrition Tips, Quick Tips, What I Ate Wednesday

What I Ate Wednesday: Leftovers Edition

I love leftovers. They just make life so much easier.

One of the best tips I can give to anyone struggling to think of healthy lunch ideas is to simply cook a double portion at dinner.

Bryce probably thinks I’m crazy but right when I’m done cooking dinner  I break out 2 Tupperware and immediately portion out lunches for us both before we dig in.

This helps in so many ways:

• We both have a healthy lunch ready for the next day
  • It helps control portions at dinner
  • You save so much money
  • You save SO MUCH TIME!!!!!
  • The lunches are way more exciting than some boring turkey sandwich over and over again

WAIW

Today I’m linking up with Peas And Crayons for a Leftovers Edition of What I Ate Wednesday (WIAW).

On Sunday I had a BBQ at my house for my sister’s birthday and purposely cooked tons of extra salmon, steak and sausage to have for the week…killing 2 birds with 1 stone right? Host a BBQ and meal prep for the week!

So come Monday I got very creative using my leftovers and am excited to share what I ate on Monday for today’s WIAW!

Let’s get into “What I Ate Wednesday” which is really “What I Ate On Monday”…

6:45 am: Very necessary cup of Jose’s Vanilla Nut coffee with unsweetened vanilla almond milk and a dash of cinnamon

7:30 am: I was doing great meal prepping on Sunday and made a batch of Banana Nut muffins from The Skinnytaste Cookbook for the week so I had one of those followed by a cup of tea.

I’m trying Your Tea’s 14 day Tiny Teatox right now (review coming soon). Basically, you consume 3 cups of tea daily and can have it before or after a meal. I’ve just been doing it after breakfast, lunch and dinner to keep it easy.

muffin

9:30 am: Greek Detox Drink of course. I drank this down too quickly and totally forgot to take a picture (sorry).

11:00 am: 1 cup of Fage 0% plain greek yogurt, with about 1/4 cup of frozen blueberries, a little bit of walnuts and some chocolate chips.

I love love love adding frozen fruit to plain yogurt in the morning then by the time I eat it the fruit thaws and flavors the yogurt naturally. Frozen fruit in yogurt is one of my favorite skinny tips to avoid all the sugary crap in most flavored yogurt.

Before-

yogurt

After-

ypgurt2

12:45 pm: Lunch time! I had so much salmon leftover from the BBQ so I had a piece of that with steamed asparagus and leftover quinoa salad. Costco sells this quinoa salad and it is SO GOOD!

leftovers1

1:00 pm: My second cup of Tiny Tea and a ginger chew. I am obsessed with these ginger chews that I found at Trader Joe’s. Ginger helps with digestion and these really help get rid of sugar cravings.

leftovers2

Seriously, look at all this Valentine’s Day candy I still have on my desk. Thank god for these ginger chews- they really do help!

leftovers3

4:00 pm: Wow that lunch kept me full. Time for my favorite snack ever- a Perfect Bar. I’ve been really into the Almond Butter flavor lately.

A lot of people ask me about where to find Perfect Bars. You can order them directly from the website here or on Amazon. I’ve seen them sold at Sprouts and Ralph’s but I almost always buy mine at Costco. They have a box 12 bars (peanut butter, cranberry crunch and almond butter) for usually only $15-$18 which is SO CHEAP!

perfect bar

6:15 pm: FINALLY home from work and I was starving so I cut up an organic fuji apple and dipped it into some cashew butter from Trader Joe’s. I recently became obsessed with cashew butter- read more about that here.

apples

6:30-7:30 pm: Gym time!

7:45 pm: Protein shake with unsweetened almond milk and my favorite protein powder ever, Isoflex. I’ve been using the peanut butter chocolate flavor lately it’s so good.

8:00 pm: I decided to use leftover steak and a tiny bit of leftover sausage for dinner. I wanted an easy meal so I sliced up a bunch of meat and then scrambled it with some spinach and eggs. Easy, healthy, protein packed dinner.

eggs

While that was cooking I put the rest of my leftover salmon into a Tupperware with some steamed asparagus and lemon wedges for lunch and done!

lunches

9:00 pm: I had my last cup of Tiny Tea with 2 Justin’s Peanut butter cups (my ultimate downfall in life haha). I LOVE everything Justin’s makes and recently found this big bag of mini peanut butter cups at Costco..heaven!

tea

10:00 pm: Goodnight!

What was your favorite thing you ate this week?

Do you typically meal prep?

What are your favorite leftovers?

• Reply Amanda @ Exploring Life & Things February 24, 2016 at 12:02 pm

I am the exact same way when it comes to meal prepping for lunches when I cook dinner! I love when I meal prep but I really don’t want to spend several hours on Sunday doing that, so doing it while I make dinner helps me so much. Something I’ve also started doing is when I go home for lunch each day, I’ll chop some sweet potatoes and other vegetables that I’ll roast that night. That way I won’t have to spend 10 minutes at night doing that and they’re ready to go in the oven 🙂

• Reply Diana Becker February 24, 2016 at 5:22 pm

That’s such a great idea to do a little bit of prep on your lunch to save precious time in the evening. I need to start doing that!

• Reply Sarah @ BucketListTummy February 24, 2016 at 2:09 pm

When I want an easy meal, I just have eggs mixed with veggies and chicken sausage. So easy and nutritious. I am having major envy over here of your salmon!
    Sarah @ BucketListTummy recently posted…Cheesy, One-Skillet Veggie Gnocci with PancettaMy Profile

• Reply Diana Becker February 24, 2016 at 5:21 pm

Have to love Costco salmon…it’s my favorite! Eggs are always my go-to as well. I do a “clean out my fridge” type meal where I scramble them with whatever.

• Reply rachel @ athletic avocado February 24, 2016 at 2:35 pm

I’ve always wanted to try those perfect bars, now I’ll have to order them! Also, cashew butter is super addicting!
    rachel @ athletic avocado recently posted…Paleo Elvis Breakfast CobblerMy Profile

• Reply Diana Becker February 24, 2016 at 5:20 pm

If you love nut butter you will LOVE Perfect Bars. They’re a little bit expensive but are so good for you and so filling I sometimes only eat half. Let me know how you like them 🙂

• Reply Kaylee February 24, 2016 at 8:53 pm

I actually taste-tested the almond butter perfect bar this past weekend when I was grocery shopping! It was good but the salesman was a little annoying so I ended up not buying any 😞 I wish I was a better meal prep-er but I do love experimenting with leftovers and turning them into something new!

• Reply Diana Becker February 25, 2016 at 10:32 am

Aww that’s a bummer. The almond butter is great I also love the peanut butter and cranberry crunch…SO GOOD! Almost worth dealing with an obnoxious salesman ha!

• Reply Jen @ Pretty Little Grub February 25, 2016 at 7:09 am

O h, I totally know that waddle, like when your knees don’t seem to bend properly. I hate it but I also know it means I worked hard.

• Reply Diana Becker February 25, 2016 at 10:30 am

It hurts so good doesn’t it!!

• Reply Kate February 25, 2016 at 9:39 am

I prepped pasta salad for lunch everyday this week and it made my life so much easier. Lunches are always the hardest for me!
    I am envious of all the delicious proteins you have here! Are the teas making you feel any different?

• Reply Diana Becker February 25, 2016 at 10:32 am

Good for you! Lunches are the worst for me too..I got luck this past week hosting a BBQ with tons of proteins..I need to do that more often.

You know what surprisingly the tea has really has helped de bloat my stomach and has me VERY regular. I also usually wake up with really puffy eyes and that’s dramatically decreased. Pretty cool…stayed tuned for a review 🙂

• Reply Heidi Kokborg February 25, 2016 at 12:47 pm

I really need to start doing these posts myself. I always love reading them on other peoples blog!
    And I am totally with you on leftovers! Leftovers make my life so much easier 🙂 Btw your breakfast muffin looks so good!

• Reply Diana Becker February 25, 2016 at 3:41 pm

You should. I learn so much about myself and my eating habits doing these posts and get the BEST ideas from fellow bloggers. The muffins are from the Skinnytaste Cookbook aka my bible!!

• Reply Smitha @ Running with SD Mom February 26, 2016 at 11:17 am

Leftovers are my absolute favorite thing!
    Smitha @ Running with SD Mom recently posted…FridayFascinations: Things I am Loving this Week!My Profile

• Reply Diana Becker February 26, 2016 at 11:47 am

Best thing ever. Anything to make the week just a little bit easier right?

• Reply Kip Demmer March 12, 2016 at 7:37 pm

I love leftovers and purposely make huge batches of soup or crock pot meals so that we can eat them all week long. Super easy lunches!

• Reply Diana Becker March 13, 2016 at 9:25 pm

It’s the only way I survive during the week!