About a month ago I did a post on Soda Alternatives. I had my boyfriend (an ex-soda addict) test out popular alternatives and give me his VERY honest feedback…maybe too honest on some of the products.
One of his favorites turned out to be Ginger Root Beer by Zevia. He was so impressed that it actually tasted like soda and had just the right amount of carbonation.
So when Zevia reached out asking if I’d like to sample more flavors I was thrilled. I loved the Ginger Root Beer as well and was so excited to see if any other flavors were equally as good.
What is Zevia? -“Zevia is the leading zero calorie, naturally sweetened soda in the United States…”
How is Zevia sweetened?
- Zevia is sweetened naturally with Stevia and Monk Fruit.
- Stevia- Stevia is a plant based sweetener that has zero calories and doesn’t have any effect on blood sugar levels.
- Monk Fruit- Monk fruit is an indigenous fruit to Asia that is all natural and also contains zero calories.
Why is Zevia clear?
- I was shocked to see that Zevia Ginger Root Beer was clear. Normally I recognize root beer by its dark color so the lack of color really threw me off. I didn’t think much more of it at the time but once I did more research on Zevia I now understand why it’s clear.
- Zevia recently eliminated artificial coloring in all of its flavors due to the high demand for the most natural product possible.
How does Zevia compare to Diet Soda?
- Honestly, it tastes almost EXACTLY like diet soda. Don’t believe me? Read my boyfriend’s VERY honest review here. He is seriously someone who use to drink 5-6 sodas a day!
Here is how Zevia compares to traditional diet soda. It has ALL the good and None of the bad while still being a delicious, bubbly, flavorful beverage.
Image via Zevia
Where can you find Zevia?
- Zevia is available in the United States and Canada. Common places to find Zevia include: Safeway, Kroger, Whole Foods, Super Target and Sprouts.
Now let’s get to a very important question…Does it mix well with alcohol?
- Great, great question! Turns out Zevia’s website offers tons of delicious mocktail and cocktail recipes so naturally I had to put a few to the test.
Skinny Zevia Cocktails:
I figured it’s one thing to just test out Zevia by just drinking it out of the can and another thing to test it by making some delicious drinks. Obviously, I went with the latter.
The idea of using a naturally sweetened, zero calorie drink as a mixer got me thinking about one of the most popular things I am asked to blog about….
“How can I drink alcohol and not gain weight?”
Now if I really knew the answer to this question I’d be a billionaire but cutting back on sugar loaded mixers is a great start!
The mixers are where most of the calories and sugar in cocktails are.
Think about it 1 shot of vodka is only about 90 calories with 0 g of sugar. But when that gets mixed with say 1 cup of cranberry juice add on another 100 calories and 30 grams of sugar….YIKES!
The fact that Zevia has no calories and no sugar makes it a great mixer for some Skinny Cocktails. I picked out 2 recipes that stood out from Zevia’s website then made up my own using the Cherry Cola.
Recipe #1. Zevia Cherry Cola Cocktail
- 1.5 oz Vodka
- 4 oz Zevia Cherry Cola
- .5 oz Grenadine
Directions: Mix together and top with Marciano cherries!
Recipe #2. Adriana’s Best Zevia Moscow Mule
- 2oz Vodka
- .5 oz fresh squeezed lime juice
- 3 oz ginger beer
- 1 mint floret
- 1-2 lemon rounds
Directions: Mix everything together. I added about 1 oz extra of ginger beer and some extra lemon slices.
Recipe #3. Healthy Happy Sweet Tart
- 1 can Grape Zevia
- 1 orange juiced
- 2 oz of vodka
- blueberries (I used frozen)
Directions: Mix everything together and enjoy.
A very special Thank You,
++Thank you Zevia for providing me with the products for this post. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Don’t forget to PIN IT for later.
Have you tried Zevia before?
What’s your favorite “Soda Alternative”?
What’s your favorite cocktail?