This review is long overdue but I’ve been trying to figure out how to give you all as much information about the Bikini Body Guide program as possible without boring you to death.
So if all you’re interested in is seeing my before and after pics keep scrolling but if you’ve ever considered doing the Bikini Body Guide (BBG) or maybe tried a few workouts but never committed to do the whole program keep reading!
I decided I’m going to break down my full review of Kayla Itsines’s Bikini Body Guide into the following sections:
- What is the Bikini Body Guide aka BBG?
- How exactly does the program work?
- What equipment do you need to do the BBG?
- Who should do the BBG?
- What my experience was like.
- Tips/ Advice I’d give to anybody considering trying this program.
Dang I got A LOT tanner from November to now!
[Tweet “My full review of Kayla Itsines’s 12 week Bikini Body Guide!”]
What is the Bikini Body Guide aka BBG?
- The Bikini Body Guide is a 12 week guide developed by a woman named Kayla Itsines. The guide gained popularity because it is so effective and each workout is only 28 minutes long…everyone has 28 minutes in their day to sneak in a workout!
- Kayla is a personal trainer in Australia who has now built an empire helping women achieve their “bikini bodies” in the quickest and most effective way possible. Read more about Kayla here.
- Honestly, you HAVE to follow Kayla on Instagram to see just how incredible this program is. The before and after photo’s of women who do her program are REAL and so inspiring.
How exactly does the program work?
- This can be a little bit confusing so stay with me on this part. The program is 12 weeks long but is broken down into 3 parts. The intensity of the workouts increases as you progress through the program and you get stronger. You also begin to incorporate different types of cardio into your routine as the weeks go on.
- weeks 1-4
- weeks 5-8
- weeks 9-12
- Now to actually do the workouts…
- Each workout consists of 2 circuits (7 minutes each). You will do each circuit twice. Your entire workout will total 28 minutes.
- In each circuit you will set a timer for 7 minutes then do the 4 exercises as many times in that 7 minutes as possible. You may not get through them all or you may end up doing the entire circuit twice it varies but challenge yourself
- To give you all a visual of what I’m talking about this is a sample workout you can get when you sign up for a FREE week of workouts:
So for Circuit 1 you’ll set that timer for 7 minutes then do 15 jump squats, 24 weighted lunges, 50 sumo squats then weighted step ups. If you finish all 4 before 7 minutes is up you start again with those jump squats…yikes! It’s not easy.
[Tweet “Ever wondered how the Bikini Body Guide works?”]
What equipment do you need to do the BBG?
- I’ll be very honest here..it’s advertised that you can do these workouts at home or really anywhere, however I don’t know many people with a workout bench, weights, medicine ball, jump rope…etc. I would recommend doing these workouts at a gym that already has most of the equipment that is needed. When I started the plan I wanted to DO IT RIGHT meaning actually using the proper equipment to be sure I got the best results possible.
- I did the workouts at the gym in my apartment complex and ended up buying a jump rope off of Amazon to do the workouts properly.
- Here is a very basic list of things you need to do the BBG:
- yoga mat
- stopwatch (I just used my cell phone timer)
- towel (you will sweat)
- 5-10 lb dumbbells
- other: jump rope, medicine ball, workout bench, bosu ball (most gyms have this stuff already)
Who should do the BBG?
- THE BBG IS HARD!!!! I’d consider myself to be in pretty good shape and I struggled through the workouts. Before starting the guide I lifted weights 3x/ week and ran 2x/ week and could not finish the first workout.
- There is a reason that Kayla specifically says that the 12 week BBG is not for beginners. You will be challenged so if you have not worked out in awhile Kayla recommends to build up to starting the guides by doing 2-3 weeks of walking/ light working out.
- Remember you CAN modify the workouts. At first I was definitely doing most of my push ups on my knees and eventually got stronger.
- AND if you wanted to try a week of BBG style workouts for FREE you can click here.
- I would highly recommend this program to busy people who want a quick and effective workout program. The entire workout is only 28 minutes. Realistically, anyone can fit a 28 minute workout 3x/ week into their routine.
What was my experience like?
I really didn’t realize just how long 12 weeks was or how much of a commitment doing the BBG on top of half marathon training would be.
I started the BBG in the beginning of November…STUPID decision with Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years and 2 half marathons to train for. I got a little bit overwhelmed fitting it all into my schedule so I would highly recommend doing the BBG when you have a free schedule and can dedicate all of your time to doing the BBG correctly.
I’m proud to say I actually did every single workout and did the full workout (all 7 minutes of each circuit) to the best of my ability. I really wanted to do the program correctly. The part I wish I was a little bit stricter on was my eating. I did not modify my diet at all when I did the guides and think I could have gotten better results if I wasn’t eating Christmas cookies and wine….oh well.
Overall I LOVED this program! The workouts were challenging and your body transforms FAST! The fact that you actually see results quickly really keeps you motivated. Seriously look at how much my body changed in just Week 1 to Week 4!
Bye puffy beer belly & hello baby 6-pack!
Would I do this program again? YES YES 10000% YES! It is the most effective workout program I’ve ever done! After I finish my marathon in June I am planning on doing the 12 week program again and maybe even doing part 2 (BBG 2.0) after it.
With my current training I love mixing in workouts from the BBG into my routine. I’m not following the exact program anymore but I’m doing some of the workouts for cross training purposes.
Is the guide worth the money? The 12 week guide is $69.97 and is worth every single penny. Think about it…1 personal training session costs about that much and with the BBG you get 12 weeks of workouts in PDF format that you can use over and over again! YOU are worth the investment!
[Tweet “My 12 week transformation doing Kayla Itsines’s Bikini Body Guide!”]
Tips/ Advice I’d give to anybody considering trying this program:
- Look at your calendar- Know exactly what you have coming up in the next 12 weeks. If you have vacations/ birthdays/ holidays that you think would interfere with you completing the guide don’t start it. You want to really do this guide correctly to see results.
- Be mentally ready to push yourself- Unfortunately the guide does not come with Kayla to be there pushing you/ cheering you on. This is just going to be you and the gym with your guide. Nobody is going to be there to know if you stopped before the 7 minutes is up but you. PUSH YOURSELF!!!
- Consider cleaning up your diet- I honestly think losing weight/ toning up is mostly diet related. Don’t think you can do a 28 minute BBG workout then eat a pizza and see results. If I could do the program again I would definitely take my diet a little bit more seriously.
- Just focus on BBG- Again, the workouts are very challenging and with the cardio requirements now is not the time to sign up for cross fit classes or start training for a marathon. Do the plan as it is designed for the best results- seriously nothing was worse than having to run 12 miles after doing BBG leg day.
- Really commit to it- Tell your friends, family, boyfriend, girlfriend, announce it on social media, post about it on your blog. It will really hold you accountable and you never know who you may inspire. I loved finding other bloggers who were along for the same journey as me and I found out a few of my friends were actually doing the BBG and had some great words of encouragement. Having to blog about doing the BBG and post pictures was truly what kept me so focused on doing the plan right. I didn’t want to disappoint you guys by quitting half way through.
[Tweet “Tips/ advice for anyone thinking about starting the Bikini Body Guide!”]
Have you ever done the full 12 weeks of the Bikini Body Guide?
Have you ever done a BBG workout (SO HARD right?)
Would you recommend BBG 2.0?
What tips/ advice would you leave for anyone considering doing the BBG?
++This post is not sponsored. All thoughts and opinions are my own. I simply had a wonderful experience doing this program and wanted to share.