Fitness, My Weekly Workouts

What’s The Definition Of A Runner + Marathon Training Update

I have a ton to cover in this post but wanted to start off talking about something that hit me while running yesterday.

There were so many people out running yesterday despite it being 90 degrees at 8:00 am. There were elderly people, high school track teams, mothers with their babies, couples, families, groups of women, children and of course some elites repping their marathon gear…all out there running!

I started thinking just how incredible it was to see such drastically different groups of people all sharing the same love for this sport. I then started thinking about what really makes someone a runner? At what point do you really get to call yourself a RUNNER?

What’s the definition of a runner?

runnerdef

A runner is a person who runs.

Everyone who gets off the couch and runs is a runner. It doesn’t matter if you run half a mile or 20 miles or if you’ve been running for years or just started running today…you’re a runner.

But I think the definition of a runner should be elaborated on a bit:

• A runner is a person who never gives up
  • A runner is a person who makes sacrifices to achieve a goal
  • A runner is a person who strives to be better every day
  • A runner is a person who accepts challenges with drive and determination
  • A runner is a person who inspires others and themselves
  • A runner is a person who can overcome obstacles
  • A runner is a person who can struggle or even fail and have the courage to get up a try again
  • A runner is a person who is amazed over and over again about the power of the human body
  • A runner is a person who has enough courage to simply get out there and try

…I could go on forever!

The point is I’m just so inspired by other runners! It’s not easy! I want to encourage all of you to proudly call yourself a runner no matter if you just started or have been running for years.

You ARE a runner!

FullSizeRender (14)

Marathon Training Update:

The Rock ‘N’ Roll Settle Marathon is EXACTLY 2 months from today. So far I’m right on schedule for my April training and just finished my longest run yet (18 miles) yesterday. My body is holding up and mentally I’m more determined than every to crush this marathon.

Training and training well has become my #1 priority and it feels good. I haven’t put this much hard work and dedication into something in a long time and I enjoy the challenge.
IMG_5378

Training last week went great! I logged 35 miles and did my longest run yet. This week is technically a taper week for the La Jolla Half Marathon on Sunday and I did not count this week in my marathon training schedule.

I’m using this taper week and then short distance on Sunday to rest my body before the final push of marathon training begins.

My goal is to get up to 20 miles the last week of April then reach 24 miles by mid may before tapering for my marathon.

I really want my body to be use to these crazy distances so running the full 26.2 won’t kill me haha!

FullSizeRender (15)

Weekly Workouts:

Like I mentioned above this is a taper week for the La Jolla Half Marathon on Sunday. This isn’t just a normal half marathon….this is one of the hilliest races in San Diego so I’m defiantly nervous and am planning on taking it VERY easy this week.

• Monday: REST
  • Tuesday: yoga sculpt
  • Wednesday: 3 easy miles
  • Thursday: 5 easy miles
  • Friday: 3 easy miles
  • Saturday: REST
  • Sunday: La Jolla Half Marathon!!!

FullSizeRender (13)

Do you consider yourself to be “a runner”?

How would you define what a runner is?

Any races coming up?

• Reply Elaine @ FoodParsed April 18, 2016 at 8:32 am

I’m super impressed that you’re training for a marathon, and congratulations on the 18 mile run! I’ve been trying to get more into running. I feel like I enjoy running more and more as I go more often. The other day, I was super happy that I managed to keep up a 10 min/mile pace for 3 miles. I don’t think I’ll ever do any races, but I definitely consider myself a runner.
    Elaine @ FoodParsed recently posted…Peanut Pea StewMy Profile

• Reply Diana Becker April 18, 2016 at 5:06 pm

Thank you so much and congratulations to you on your 3 mile run! Why not try a 5k? It’s 3.2 miles and I promise that race environment is so much fun it’s something I highly recommend everyone do once πŸ™‚

• Reply Beverley @ Born to Sweat April 18, 2016 at 8:36 am

looks like it was a gorgeous run! so sunny!
    i definitely don’t consider myself to be a ‘runner,’ (re: latest blog post haha), but i like to run maybe one or two times a week. I’d prefer doing an outdoor workout and throwing sprints into the mix!
    Beverley @ Born to Sweat recently posted…Learning How to Not Do, What You Don’t Love.My Profile

• Reply Diana Becker April 18, 2016 at 5:08 pm

I loved your post! It’s so important to find something you truly love to do πŸ™‚

• Reply kerri mcgrail April 18, 2016 at 9:16 am

Looks like a great week of workouts! I can’t wait until I can run in a sport bra outside. I have my first full marathon coming up at the end of May so i am super excited about that! Good for you for running all the way up to 24 miles- I’m not sure that I will hit that high of mileage this go around.
    kerri mcgrail recently posted…WIAW: Chickpeas, Burrito bowls & Homemade GuacMy Profile

• Reply Diana Becker April 18, 2016 at 5:09 pm

We’re so spoiled here in San Diego- it’s sports bra running season year round! I’m so glad I found your blog- I can’t wait to hear more about your marathon!

• Reply Amanda @ Exploring Life & Things April 18, 2016 at 10:24 am

I totally agree with every single thing you said about runners! I love how diverse runners are, I think it’s the coolest thing. Congrats on your marathon training so far! It sounds like you’re doing so well! Also- I commend you for running in 90 degree weather! I’m such a wuss when it comes to running in the heat haha.

• Reply Diana Becker April 18, 2016 at 5:11 pm

Thank you so much!! Even in this small blogging community everyone has such different backgrounds but we’re all runners! Oh I was DYING after this run- I fell asleep for like 2 hours from heat exhaustion!

• Reply Kellen McAvoy April 18, 2016 at 2:26 pm

You are MORE than ready for this race! I only got up to 18 miles in my training haha. I completely agree with your definition of a runner. A runner is someone who strives to achieve goals, overcomes obstacles, and exhibits perseverance in times when giving up would be much easier.
    Kellen McAvoy recently posted…Weekly Workouts + NEW Ab ExercisesMy Profile

• Reply Diana Becker April 18, 2016 at 5:13 pm

Love those additions to the runner definition πŸ™‚ I’m getting more and more confident about the race with every run…it’s still just so crazy to think I’m going to run 26.2 freakin miles AHHH!