Breakfast, Food, Nutrition Tips

Easy Egg Muffins

Let’s talk eggs!

To eat the yolk or not to eat the yolk…that is the question!

Personally, I’m 100% pro yolk. Egg yolks have a bad reputation for being high in cholesterol but let’s clear things up.

Recent studies have shown little to no link between dietary cholesterol (found in eggs) and high blood cholesterol levels. The real issue with high cholesterol is the consumption of saturated and trans fats.

It’s crazy isn’t it that people don’t even blink an eye before eating a giant slice of pizza or a doughnut but they hear egg yolks and freak out!

The egg yolk actually has some incredible health benefits, for example:

• Yolks contain 7 vitamins: A, D, E, K, B6, B12 and Folate- Did you know egg yolks are one of the only foods where Vitamin D is found naturally? Source
  • Contains minerals like magnesium, calcium, iron, potassium, sodium, selenium and chromium (more on chromium below)
  • Contains carotenoids (lutein and zeaxanthin) that promote eye health
  • Contain omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids- The GOOD fats!
  • Helps reduce LDL cholesterol (bad) and raise HDL cholesterol (good)

[Tweet “DO NOT throw away that egg yolk. Read more about its incredible health benefits!”]

FullSizeRender(5)

Eggs as a whole are one of the healthiest foods we can eat and have too many benefits to list in 1 post. So the health benefit I’m going to focus on today is eggs role in helping with weight loss and maintenance.

One large egg is only about 70 calories and contains 7 grams of protein making them a great breakfast option to keep you satisfied for long periods of time. This will prevent you from snacking on junk throughout the morning and eat a proper portion come lunch time.

What really ties eggs to weight loss/maintenance though is the fact that eggs contain a mineral called chromium which helps balance blood sugar, increase lean body mass, lower body weight and reduce cholesterol. Source. YES PLEASE!

[Tweet “Eating eggs may just be your new weight loss secret!”]

When I was working in weight loss I ALWAYS recommended making these easy egg muffins for breakfast options. The protein and healthy fats in eggs + the addition of veggies makes for the perfect breakfast.

To make these easy egg muffins here’s what you do (full recipe below):

+First chop up your veggies and give them a little saute to release water so your egg muffins don’t get all soggy (I used red pepper and spinach). I also like to warm up my meat of choice to add a little flavor to the veggies (I used deli turkey from Trader Joe’s). Meanwhile, crack a dozen large eggs into a bowl and scramble. Once your veggies and meat are cooked add it into your large bow and mix.

FullSizeRender(2)

FullSizeRender(3)

+Using a measuring cup scoop the egg/veggie/meat mixture into a muffin tray lined with silicone baking cups.

Seriously this part is SO IMPORTANT. Egg muffins will stick terribly to paper liners and unless you want to spend 985745 hours scrubbing your muffin tin without liners you have to invest in these reusable baking cups.

The egg muffins pop right out of them no mess, no issues.

After the mix is all in the baking cups top with a little cheese…yummm!

effmuffins

effmuff

+Bake your muffins at 400 for 20 minutes. You’ll know they’re done because they puff up HUGE and you can insert a toothpick and it will come out clean.

They stay puffed up like that for about a minute before flattening out but look so perfect and delicious right?

FullSizeRender(4)

IMG_5399

+Let your egg muffins cool then remove them from the silicone liners and store in a big Tupperware or I like to put them into individual baggies to just grab for breakfast throughout the week.

These last about a week in the refrigerator and can easily be reheated by microwaving for 1 minute.

[Tweet “Step by step guide for making egg muffins!”]

FullSizeRender(7)

FullSizeRender(8)

[yumprint-recipe id=’9′] Your Turn,

Do you eat the egg yolk?

Have you tried egg muffins before?

What’s your favorite way to eat eggs?

Don’t forget to PIN IT for later:

Easy Egg Muffins | Live Lean Eat Green

• Reply shaniece April 20, 2016 at 6:07 am

Looks amazing!

• Reply Diana Becker April 20, 2016 at 9:54 am

Thank you! You have to try them for a great post workout breakfast 🙂

• Reply Amanda @ Exploring Life & Things April 20, 2016 at 8:18 am

I love these! I’ve made egg muffins once before and I love how you can make a whole bunch and then have them throughout the week. Recently I’ve been loving scrambled eggs mixed with sweet potatoes and avocados. I think I eat it for lunch almost everyday!

• Reply Diana Becker April 20, 2016 at 9:55 am

Right? They’re a perfect thing to prep on a Sunday and have ready to go for the week. I’ve put sweet potatoes in these before…OMG so good!

• Reply rachel @ athletic avocado April 20, 2016 at 10:04 am

love that these are so easy to make! Perfect grab n go breakfast 🙂

• Reply Diana Becker April 20, 2016 at 10:06 am

They’re so easy and the best part is you can customize them with whatever veggies, meat or cheese that you want. Sometimes I do broccoli, bacon and swiss cheese…SO GOOD!

• Reply Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 20, 2016 at 10:35 am

I used to make these allllll the time. Ned to get back to it. They’re great to make ahead for the week! And I 100% agree with you on the yolk!

• Reply Diana Becker April 21, 2016 at 1:47 pm

It’s so strange how we go through breakfast phases isn’t it? I’m so into these and overnight oats right now.

• Reply Cayanne Marcus @healthyezsweet April 20, 2016 at 1:23 pm

I used to love making these little egg muffins (I called them cupcakes though haha!) with mini meatball pieces!

• Reply Diana Becker April 21, 2016 at 1:46 pm

Egg Cupcakes..LOVE IT! My boyfriend would love adding meatballs to these- great idea!

• Reply Kara April 20, 2016 at 4:05 pm

I completely agree with you about egg yolks – they’re so good for you! And it makes me so frustrated when I hear people freak out about them. Although I admit that I often do a mixture of yolks with extra whites for the extra protein…

Also, these look delicious – might need to try them out soon for a new make-ahead breakfast!

• Reply Diana Becker April 21, 2016 at 1:46 pm

You should definitely try them for a make-ahead breakfast. They last an entire week in the fridge!

• Reply Olena @ candies & crunches April 20, 2016 at 6:40 pm

I’ve been meaning to make this for forever now. I recently made muffin pancakes and totally loved them! Thank you for sharing!

• Reply Diana Becker April 21, 2016 at 1:45 pm

Muffin pancakes? Do you have a recipe on your blog? I’d love to try those!

• Reply Kristy @ Southern In Law April 20, 2016 at 6:43 pm

Egg bakes are one of my go-to quick and easy lunch options. Yolks are always a must. Sometimes I’ll use a mix of whole eggs and egg whites if I have a carton of egg whites open, but I never eat just egg whites on their own. Bleh!

• Reply Diana Becker April 21, 2016 at 1:44 pm

I can’t eat plain egg whites either…there’s 0 flavor. No thanks!

• Reply Perri April 22, 2016 at 8:47 am

YUM! Def. trying this weekend. Thank you!!

• Reply Diana Becker April 22, 2016 at 9:58 am

Enjoy and let me know how you like them 🙂

• Reply Luci April 22, 2016 at 9:32 am

These are gorgeous and perfect for brunch! I LOVE the flavor combination!

http://www.lucismorsels.com Luci’s Morsels | fashion. food. frivolity

• Reply Diana Becker April 22, 2016 at 9:59 am

Thank you so much! Kind of a spicy southwestern vibe? I also love doing broccoli, bacon and swiss cheese…SO GOOD!

• Reply Chrissa - Physical Kitchness April 22, 2016 at 10:40 am

SOOOO colorful and nummy!!! I love egg cups – they make a great breakfast on the go. This is a kick butt recipe!

• Reply Diana Becker April 22, 2016 at 1:36 pm

Thank you so much! They really are the best healthy on the go breakfast!

• Reply Liz @ The Clean Eating Couple April 22, 2016 at 11:11 am

YUM! Love making muffins with all the leftover veggies that we have around the house! These look great

• Reply Diana Becker April 22, 2016 at 1:37 pm

YES! I always call these my clean out the kitchen muffins. You can really throw whatever you want in them.

• Reply 30 (Healthy!) Grab & Go Breakfasts - Byte Sized Nutrition August 22, 2016 at 6:58 am

[…] Easy Egg Muffins via Live Lean Eat Green […]