Summer is here and what does that mean?
Besides being delicious watermelon is also incredibly good for you. It’s packed with Vitamin C, contains powerful antioxidants like lycopene and even acts as a natural electrolyte replacer due to it’s high potassium levels.
So now that we’ve established watermelon is both delicious and nutritious let’s talk about how to pick out the perfect watermelon.
Because nothing is worse than buying a giant watermelon and then cutting into it to find it’s mushy or lacks flavor right?
Quick tips for picking out the best watermelon every time:
- Look for a uniform shape- a round uniform shape without any bumps and lumps makes it more likely that the whole watermelon will be crisp and juicy. There’s nothing worse than half your watermelon being dry or completely mushy.
- Knock on it- Seriously, just like you’d knock on someone’s door knock on a watermelon and listen for a hollow sound.
- Look for the yellow spot- A watermelon that is all the same color actually means it’s not ripe. You ideally want to find one with a large yellow spot on it. The darker the yellow spot the riper and more delicious your watermelon will be.
- Pick it up- A ripe watermelon should be VERY heavy for it’s size. Fun fact…a watermelon is 92% water! If you can’t decide between two watermelons that are the same size always go for the heavier one.
- Stay away from shiny- You want to find a dull watermelon. Any watermelons that look glossy or shiny are probably not quite ripe.
- The darker the green the better- Pretty self explanatory but look for that dark green color!
Watermelon Caprese Bites
I first had these bites a couple weeks ago at a wedding. The caterers were walking around with trays of food and me being a little tipsy off champagne thought these were your standard caprese bites with tomatoes, mozzarella and basil.
I almost spit out my food my taste buds were so excited by the combination of watermelon, goat cheese, mint, tomatoes and balsamic.
I knew the second I got back to San Diego I had to recreate these Watermelon Caprese Bites and share them on the blog.
They’re so easy to make and combine some of the best summer flavors for a healthy appetizer everyone will love!
- 1 watermelon
- 1 package of goat cheese
- 1 bunch of mint
- 1 package of cherry tomatoes
- 1 package of toothpicks
- optional: balsamic glaze for your serving plate
- Cut your watermelon into small cubes. Think about 2 inches by 2 inches-ish. Set aside.
- Wash your mint and tomatoes. Cut your mint leaves and tomatoes in half. Set aside.
- With your fingers grab a pinch of goat cheese and roll it into a small ball. Repeat until all the cheese is gone. Feel free to do large balls like I did.
- To assemble go in this order: watermelon cube, goat cheese, mint leaf then top it with a tomato. Repeat.
- Drizzle balsamic glaze all over your serving plate then place the caprese bites on top! Enjoy!
- I got all my ingredients at Trader Joe's.
It’s YOUR TURN,
What’s your favorite way to enjoy watermelon?
Any tips for picking out the best watermelon at the store?
What’s your favorite summer appetizer?
Oh, and don’t forget to PIN this recipe for late…you’ll want it!