Last week I introduced a 3 part mini series called One Meal Two Ways!
The point of this series is to help those of you who are trying to eat healthy when nobody else in your household is! Because nothing is worse than making 100 different meals after a long day at work.
In case you missed last week I did spaghetti/ zoodles with turkey mushroom meat sauce and this week we’re cooking BURGERS!
But we’re not cooking just regular burgers…we’re making Skinnytaste’s incredible Turkey Burgers with Zucchini that I’ve slightly modified into the juiciest, most delicious burgers ever.
Tip: Don’t even tell the picky eaters in your house that there is zucchini in the burgers…they won’t even notice.
Okay, okay, okay so everyone else gets a fabulous build your own burger bar with cheese, avocado, tomatoes, lettuce, onions…etc but what’s the healthy modification?
3 words: Turkey Burger Salad
If you’ve never heard of a burger salad before…you’re welcome. I personally hate eating burgers “protein style” (when a burger is wrapped in lettuce instead of the bun) because they’re just too messy but I also don’t always want to eat an entire bun. The struggle is real. So to reach a happy medium I prep the burger toppings for everyone else then throw all the extra ingredients into a giant bowl, top it with some cheese and thousand island dressing then pop my turkey burger on top.
No mess. Low carb. TONS of veggies. High protein aka a perfect healthy dinner.
For my salad I used: romaine, roma tomatoes, avocado, red onions, shredded cheese and thousand island.
While you are chowing down on your salad everyone else can build their burgers exactly how they want them…no fuss for you!
Even better…make this a night where you use paper plates/ utensils. I know it’s not the most environmental friendly thing to do but hey sometimes not having to do the dishes at 10:00 pm is worth it.
I’m telling you guys at my house there is nothing that satisfies both Bryce and I more than this meal. I get my nice salad and he gets to go to town creating monster burgers that shhhhhhh have zucchini in them haha!
Can you guess who styled the burgers for this post? …if styling a burger is a thing? #BloggerLife
- 20 oz lean ground turkey (1 standard package)
- 1 medium zucchini (grated)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp red onion (grated)
- 1 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 head of romaine lettuce
- 4 roma tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 avocado
- cheese of your choice
- thousand island dressing (I used Bolthouse Farms Yogurt dressing)
- buns for whoever is eating burgers
- Squeeze the grated zucchini with paper towels to remove excess moisture then combine the ground turkey, zucchini, breadcrumbs, garlic, red onion, salt and pepper into a large bowl-. Form 5 patties.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. Add turkey burgers and cook on each side for about 5 minutes on each side or until burgers are cooked through. Set aside.
- Prep your toppings/ salad. I cut up everything for the burgers first then threw all the leftover ingredients into my salad bowl and topped it with a little thousand island.
- Assemble burgers/ salad and enjoy!
- *If more people will be eating a turkey burger salad get another head of lettuce
- *Use whatever toppings you'd like
- *These can also be cooked outside on the grill
Have you ever had a burger salad before?
Do you sneak veggies into things like burgers?
What’s your favorite meal to modify into something healthier?
Oh, and don’t forget to PIN IT!