I hope you all had a wonderful Labor Day Weekend.
I know I sure did!
Friday and Saturday were spent relaxing then on Sunday my family and I went to the Del Mar races and Ballast Point 20th Anniversary beer festival to celebrate my dad’s birthday.
There were over 80 different beers at the festival…most of which have never left the tasting room. Some of my favorites were the Cucumber Longfin, Mango Dorado and the best Peach Sour mmmm!
Now I’m currently enjoying every second of this Monday off by writing this post poolside relaxing and recovering.
Life is gooood!
Before a long weekend comes to an end it’s so important to take a few minutes and regroup.
As I write this post I’m scribbling down dinner ideas for the week and making a grocery list. For me getting my food planned and prepped for the week is my #1 priority…yes even over an ice cold beer.
A recipe that’s almost always in my dinner rotation is this Chicken Parmesan. It has truly become my go-to meal before a race, to impress friends and family, for date night in or really just for a delicious dinner any day of the week.
I made it for lunch Saturday, for my parents Sunday night and you bet it’s in the dinner rotation for this coming week!
Not only is this Chicken Parmesan one of the easiest recipes EVER it’s also absolutely delicious and surprisingly healthy.
Typically Chicken Parmesan is prepared by frying the chicken in butter or oil then serving it over pasta. But in this recipe you actually bake the chicken saving yourself tons of calories!
Baking your food instead of frying it allows you to use significantly less oil/other fats without sacrificing any flavor–yes please!
And to take the healthy-ness to the next level serve your Chicken Parmesan over some zoodles instead of pasta!
This recipe truly is comfort food made healthy!
- 8 thin sliced boneless skinless chicken breasts* (or 4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts cut in half to make 8)
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1/4 cup butter (melted) or olive oil
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 jar of your favorite marinara sauce
- cooking spray (I use olive oil)
- 1 package of your favorite pasta or zoodles
- Preheat oven to 450
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Melt the butter in a shallow microwave safe dish. Combine bread crumbs and parmesan cheese in a large shallow bowl or in a gallon sized plastic bag (I hate touching chicken so I use the bag)
- Dip chicken breasts one by one into the butter then place into the bag and shake it around until the chicken is fully coated in bread crumbs/ parmesan then place chicken onto the baking sheet
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on chicken then give each chicken breast a light spray with your cooking spray
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking prepare your pasta or zoodles.
- After 20 mins take the chicken out and flip it over. Bake for another 5-10 minutes or until chicken is golden.
- Take the chicken out again and spread about 2 Tbsp of marinara onto each chicken breast then top with a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese. Place chicken back into the oven for about 5 mins or until cheese is melted.
- Top pasta or zoodles with the remaining marinara sauce, add the chicken and enjoy!
- *Trader Joe's sells the best thin slice chicken breasts for this recipe
What’s your go-to meal?
How do you modify meals to make them healthier?
Did you do anything fun over Labor Day Weekend?
Oh, and don’t forget to Pin it!