Today is apparently the first official day of fall.
Well… it hardly feels like fall here in San Diego. It’s been HOT, humid and the rest of the week suppose to be sunny with temperatures in the high 80’s.
I’m not complaining…actually if it could be 80 and sunny every single day of the year I’d be happy.
BUT when I looked at my September blogging schedule I realized I was suppose to do a post featuring DIY Ginger Tea today….uhhhh nothing sounds worse than hot tea as I’m sweating writing this than hot tea.
Instead I decided to whip up my favorite healthy ice cream to share with you all. As much as I love “healthy” ice cream brands like Arctic Zero and Halo Top even those still contain sugar alcohols, binders and other creepy ingredients. As you know from this post on reading a nutrition label I really hate putting things like that into my body and try to stick with whole food ingredients.
Unfortunately, the truth is no store bought ice cream on is only going to have 4 simple healthy ingredients. It’s something you’re going to have to make yourself and I promise it’s SO WORTH IT!
That’s where my 4 Ingredient Healthy Vanilla Ice Cream comes in!
All you need for this delicious, healthy treat that honestly smells, feels and looks EXACTLY like fatty, sugary ice cream is dates, coconut milk, vanilla extract and almond milk- THAT’S IT!
You seriously only these 4 ingredients!
Let’s talk about dates for a second because they pack some serious health benefits!
- high in fiber to help keep your bowel movements regular
- a natural energy booster due to their high natural sugar content
- can reduce triglyceride and cholesterol levels
- a great natural sweetener in ice creams, baked goods, smoothies…etc.
- high in antioxidants
- absolutely DELICIOUS
For this recipe I used medjool dates which can be a little bit expensive but hey if you can sweeten your foods/ desserts NATURALLY and with something that actually has health benefits to me that’s priceless.
Look at this deliciousness straight from the ice cream maker!
Before reading any further just know for this recipe you do need an ice cream maker.
I bought this Cuisinart one* off Amazon for less than $50 and it works great! People have also told me they’ve found their ice cream makers at thrift stores for like $5–it all depends how much effort you want to put into finding the perfect ice cream maker haha!
Okay, enough talking and let’s make some ice cream!
Rainbow sprinkles…always necessary!
- 7-8 medjool dates (pits removed)
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1.5 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Make sure your ice cream maker is frozen (if necessary).
- Put all the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth
- Optional: For thicker ice cream place the blender in the refrigerator for about 30 mins before moving on to step 4
- Pour the ingredients into your ice cream maker and churn for about 20-30 mins (each ice cream maker is different so read the directions)
- Enjoy right away or place in an air tight container in the freezer for later
- The ice cream will last a few days in the freezer. Before eating your leftovers let it sit out for about 5-10 mins to soften up. Honestly, it will probably all be gone the day you make it though.
Bryce is not mad about helping me blog tonight!
Have you ever made ice cream before?
How do you use dates in cooking/ baking?
Any other easy, healthy ice cream recipes you would recommend?
*Some links in this post are affiliate links meaning Live Lean Eat Green receives a small commission off your purchase. All money made goes back into making the blog the best it can be.