Fitness

Running Struggles + What’s Next!

2016 has been my year of running! I completed 1 10k, 1 15k, 3 half marathons, 1 full marathon and hours upon hours of training.

I really wish I could sit here right now and give you all a fun exciting update on what’s next for me and tell you all my race plans for 2017. However, as I hinted  last week I’ve been dealing with some health concerns that unfortunately are preventing me from running more than a few miles.

Before I write any more…guys out there (if there is any) you should probably stop reading because you won’t relate to any of this!

I wasn’t planning on sharing any of this on my blog but the more I thought about it the more I realized how important it is as a blogger to not just share the highs that running brings but also some of the lows. I’ve brought you all along on my running journey this past year so you all deserve to know whats up.

What’s going on:

To make a very long story short… since my marathon in June I have not had a period (no, I’m not pregnant). I ignored this for a couple months justifying it by figuring I had just put my body through hell running 26.2 miles then started half marathon training right after.

Well months went by and I kind of fell into this mindset that ignorance is bliss right? I didn’t want to go to the doctor and learn I had cancer or a thyroid issue or something…okay I’m being dramatic…but still stuff like that goes through your head. I convinced myself that I was fine and this wasn’t something to worry about.

It wasn’t until 3 weeks ago I made an appointment to go get my body checked out. I was feeling like crap in my workouts and just knew it was time to figure out what was going on with my body. After speaking with my doctor and telling her all the details that went into my marathon training  she immediately stated that I needed to SLOW THE F DOWN!

She explained how when females overexercise they can lose their period which can lead to infertility, higher risks of developing cancer, osteoporosis…etc. NO THANKS!

To rule out more serious problems such as thyroid issues, PCOS, anemia…etc she conducted a full blood panel on me and did a comprehensive hormone test.

THANK GOD everything has come back normal so far!

Since my test results all show that I’m healthy she went ahead and put me on a high dose of progesterone pills to jump start my body into have a regular monthly period again. Let me just say these progesterone are the worst! They make me feel so dizzy/ lightheaded/kind of drunk- not ideal!

While all this testing is going on my doctor recommended to keep exercise to a minimum. I’m running only 1-2 times a week (VERY short distances) and mixing in some yoga to keep me sane!

I took my last progesterone pill Sunday and am waiting to see if it triggers anything to happen in my body. Here’s hoping! If it does not trigger a period I have to go in for additional testing so keep your fingers crossed for me.

While this has been a pretty crazy experience I know getting my body back into balance is going to be so worth it. I’m determined to use this time to allow my body to rest and recover then come back stronger than ever!

img_2023

At the summit of Vulcan Mountain this weekend!

My Running Future:

You better believe the second I get the green light to train again I’ll start running the next day. My body just craves exercise–what can I say?

For 2017 I have a few races tentatively planned:

I’d also love to work on speed and breaking my current half marathon PR which is 1:54:23. I really think I could do that on a course like the Rock ‘N’ Roll San Diego Half in June where there’s a nice downhill at the end but we’ll see!

All these races are pretty far into the future so here’s hoping I’ll have all this health stuff figured out by then!

Currently:

What’s a runner to do when they can’t really run?

Well last weekend running was replaced with walking and hiking which I was 100% okay with.

On Saturday Bryce and I headed up to the San Diego Zoo’s Safari park where we walked about 3 miles while sipping on some beers, enjoying the animals AND getting a little cardio in. #Multitasking

The next day my mom, dad, Bryce and I headed up to Volcan Mountain in Julian for a 6 mile hike to the mountain summit followed by more beers haha!

I’m loving having extra time to go do things and figure with the holidays coming up not stressing about fitting runs in/ forcing workouts may be for the best…everything happens for a reason right?

img_9276Gorgeous views at the Safari Park!

wap1Relax people…it’s a fake giraffe haha!

img_1988

Taking the day off of running for some hiking at Volcan Mountain!

img_2014

Freezing our asses off at the top + having a little beer break!

img_2044

Had to end the day with a trip to Nickel Brewery in Julian! YUM!

I’d love to know if you’ve ever struggled with hormone issues during/ after training for a race. Please email me if you have I’d love to chat! liveleaneatgreen1@gmail.com

Any races planned for 2017?

Any tips for registering for Seawheeze? It’s stressing me out haha!

Linking up with ‘What’s new with you?‘ and ‘Thinking out loud

• Reply Brie @ Lean, Clean, & Brie November 3, 2016 at 3:14 am

Thank you so much for sharing this <3 it is definitely a wake up call to me to make sure that I don't train ALL THE TIME, as much as I may want to. After my upcoming half marathon, I know my body is definitely craving a bit of a break just to reset and get back to normal after a heavy training cycle. No races yet registered for for 2017, but I am thinking a 26.2 might be in the works 😉

• Reply Diana Becker November 3, 2016 at 10:14 am

Take a couple months off to fully recover from all your running this past year then chase that 26.2- I know you can do it!

• Reply Ciara November 3, 2016 at 9:16 am

Thanks so much for sharing your difficulties after your training – I hope your body gets the jump start it needs & you can go back to normal ASAP. When I started my weight loss journey 2 years ago, I started with the couch to 5k program. Towards the end of the program, I didn’t get a period for 2 months. It freaked me out, understandably.. but my doctor told me it was normal since I had literally never worked out in my life. But – clearly yours is much more serious so I’m glad you finally went to the doctor to get checked out! wish you the best 🙂

• Reply Diana Becker November 3, 2016 at 10:15 am

Thank you so much for your support. It’s crazy how challenging it is to find that happy balance with our bodies isn’t it?

• Reply kristen November 3, 2016 at 9:22 am

oh i am sorry you are going through this! i am glad you went to the doctor and everything has come back good. i hope your period returns soon! the only time i have lost my period (like i misplaced it lol) was when i was a teenager and had an eating disorder. i didn’t exericse at all so it wasn’t because of that, but my body was busy doing other things i guess. it’s scary to think that over exercising can cause this! it’s no joke. i like to run but i am not super serious about it so i don’t think i am ever in danger of over training, but you’ve definitely reminded me to listen to my body if anything acts up.

• Reply Diana Becker November 3, 2016 at 10:16 am

Your body starts giving you signs…I felt like crap on my runs, started dreading working out, was sore for days after a basic workout. As much as this situation sucks it’s really reminded me too to listen to my body and honor what it needs.

• Reply Susie @ Suzlyfe November 3, 2016 at 9:50 am

You are not alone! Running is amazing for us, but it can also upset some rather precarious balances within our bodies. Good for you for going to the doctor and starting to get things figured out!

• Reply Diana Becker November 3, 2016 at 10:18 am

Thanks so much for your support! It’s HARD to slow down with running but I know getting my body back in balance will be for the best in the long run 🙂

• Reply Ashley November 3, 2016 at 11:34 am

I’m so happy to hear you’re okay! Thank you for sharing your story :). I’ve been putting off the doctor for awhile now and this was the wake up call and kick in the ass I needed to do it!!

• Reply Diana Becker November 4, 2016 at 9:53 am

Aww thank you so much! I’m so glad I could give you a little wake up call–it’s scary but is such a stress reliever to get everything figured out 🙂

• Reply Gretchen November 4, 2016 at 9:40 am

I ran Seawheeze this year and it was such an amazing race and experience! I would recommend getting on the site a little early and just keep hitting refresh. Having a few browsers and your phone open also help. Good luck!

• Reply Diana Becker November 4, 2016 at 9:54 am

That’s a great idea! Definitely going to have my laptop, work computer, phone, ipad ready to go 😉

• Reply Mari November 5, 2016 at 1:51 pm

Thank you for this post. I too am having hormonal issues and it’s nice to hear I’m not the only one struggling with this. I was working out a ton Jun – Sept and my period just went away. At first I thought it was awesome, until I read a couple of articles regarding the impact it can have on bone density etc. I finally went to my ob, underwent a myriad of tests, and stopped working out. According to my ob, all my hormone levels are fine (she thought that it was maybe premature ovarian failure!!! Yikes!!) and I don’t have pcos. But….I still haven’t had a period and not being able to workout is driving me crazy. However, my sleep has improved. Sad. So I get it. I was working out to be healthy. But there is such as thing as too much working out. It’s frustrating to say the least.

• Reply Diana Becker November 10, 2016 at 9:19 am

You’re welcome! It’s crazy! But sometimes I like to think of it as my body sending me a message to slow down before I actually get hurt or get sick. Good luck with everything you’re going through too 🙂

• Reply Danielle @ Wild Coast Tales November 12, 2016 at 8:14 am

I hope you’re feeling a bit better and you’re definitely not alone in this problem! I had the very same problem a few years ago. I was without a period for almost 1.5 years. I finally went to see a naturopath, got blood work done and found out I was deficient in iron, B12, vitamin D (I was vegan at the time) and my hormone levels were all messed up! He also diagnosed me with adrenal fatigue and I had a bunch of digestive problems. I ended up on a bunch of herbs from the naturopath and went to acupuncture weekly for about 6 months. I also completely adjusted my diet and did start eating a lot more fat! Fortunately he didn’t tell me to stop working out but I did decrease the intensity and tried a lot more to focus on stress reduction. It all made a huge difference but I did have to take one dose of progesterone to get my period back. Since then I haven’t really had any problems!

• Reply Diana Becker November 14, 2016 at 9:10 am

Oh wow! I’m not glad to hear this but it’s comforting to know I’m not alone going through all this crazy stuff! I have a couple doctors appointments in the coming weeks but if that still doesn’t get me closer to getting my body back on track I’m highly considering acupuncture and natural routes– thanks so much for sharing 🙂

• Reply Ivan Jordon December 11, 2016 at 12:22 am

Then 2016 is definitely your year girl,such a high level of confidence!