Food, Nutrition Tips, Nutrition Tips, Product, Reviews, Snacks

My Thoughts On 5 Of The Most Popular Nutrition Bars

nutrition bars

Not all nutrition bars are created equal.

Not at all actually!

At this point there are SO MANY different options out there for “healthy” nutrition bars it’s hard to know which ones are actually good for you and which are simply candy bars in disguise.

For this post I decided to do a little taste test/ ingredient review on 5 “healthy” nutrition bars that I’ve seen all over social media lately. I tried multiple flavors of each bar before writing this and randomly chose the flavors I took pictures of. This post is NOT sponsored and all my thoughts are my own.

I also wanted Bryce’s opinion on the bars. He came home when I was in the middle of taking these pictures so hey why not- 2 opinions are always better than 1 plus Bryce had some pretty hilarious comments when I made him test soda alternatives so I knew his reactions wouldn’t disappoint. I wrote down EXACTLY what the first things to come out of his mouth were…some positive and some well…not so much.

Enjoy!

My Thoughts On 5 Of The Most Popular Nutrition Bars:

fullsizerender-46

RX Bar

ingredients: dates, egg whites, almonds, cashews, cacao, coconut, sea salt, natural coconut flavor

*gluten free, soy free, dairy free, no added sugar

nutrition facts:

• 210 calories
  • 22 carbs (13 from sugar)
  • 12 g protein

My thoughts: I love the concept of a bar with very clean ingredients however I do not like the consistency of these bars at all- they are just way too chewy almost to the point where they are not pleasant to eat. I do really enjoy the flavor of these though. Considering the ingredients are so clean it’s amazing how good they taste. If you like a chewy bar you’ll love RX Bars.

Bryce’s thoughts: “Chewy….not much flavor at all which is probably good because you don’t want to just taste fake sh*t. I also like that it’s not powdery”

fullsizerender-49

Lara Bar Organic with Superfoods

ingredients: dates, almonds, coconut, cacao nibs, kale, cocoa powder

*organic, gluten free, no added sugar, non-gmo, vegan, dairy free

nutrition facts:

• calories: 200
  • 25 carbs (18 from sugar)
  • 3 g of protein

My thoughts: Who on earth tasted this bar and thought it was good? I’m so disappointed because I love regular Lara Bars but these are AWFUL! I took notes tasting each bar and here’s what I wrote “this has the worst aftertaste…it reminds me of something…soap?.” Bad just BAD! Plus only 3g of protein- what’s the point of even eating these?

Bryce’s thoughts: “I hate it…it’s disgusting”

fullsizerender-42

Square Bar

ingredients: coconut nectar, whole grain brown rice protein, dark chocolate (cocoa liquor, dried cane syrup, cocoa butter), coconut oil, coconut, oats, cocoa liquor, sunflower lecithin, sea salt

*organic, non gmo, gluten free, vegan

nutrition facts:

• 230 calories
  • 21 carbs (13 from sugar)
  • 11 g of protein

My thoughts: I love chocolate so I knew I’d love square bars. I’m a little disappointed in the ingredients…I really don’t know what half of them are but these bars taste SO GOOD and the texture is great! There’s a crisp outside shell then a soft chewy inside. Love these but more for a treat!

Bryce’ thoughts: (FYI Bryce hates chocolate) “I hate chocolate…just way too chocolaty”

fullsizerender-50

GoMacro Bar

ingredients: brown rice syrup, almond butter, protein blend (sprouted brown rice protein, pea protein), bananas, puffed brown rice, sunflower seeds, walnuts, coconut sugar, cinnamon, natural banana flavor

*organic, pareve, vegan, non-gmo, gluten free, soy free, dairy free

nutrition facts:

• 270 calories
  • 34 carbs (13 from sugar)
  • 10 g of protein

My thoughts- HOLY BANANA. The second I opened this bar these was a very potent banana smell which i didn’t mind but woah. These bars are VERY sticky and I found them to smell way better than they actually tasted. The bars are pretty bland and I don’t know about the first ingredient being brown rice syrup…no thanks.

Bryce’s thoughts- “It smells great and I love bananas but is super chewy. I do like its cinnamon banana flavor. Don’t mind the flavor at all but a little too chewy”

fullsizerender-51

Perfect Bar

ingredients: peanut butter, honey, nonfat dry milk, dried whole egg powder, rice protein, flex seed oil, sunflower seed oil, sesame seed oil, olive oil, pumpkin seed oil, dried whole food powders (kale, flax seed, rose hip, orange, lemon, papaya, tomato, apple, alfalfa, celery, kelp, dulse, carrot, spinach)

*gluten free, 20+ super foods, non-gmo, organic, kosher

nutrition facts:

• 330 calories
  • 26 carbs (18 from sugar)
  • 17 g of protein

My thoughts: Honestly I’m not just saying this because I work for Perfect Bar. These have been my favorite bars for years because they’re made from REAL FOOD and taste amazing. They have a soft texture that isn’t sticky and you can tell these bars are fresh! There are no hints of artificial sweeteners in them just delicious honey. Some people freak out about the calories but I love having these at like 3pm…I’m not hungry until dinner and don’t snack on crap AND Perfect Bars are packed with healthy fats– LOVE LOVE LOVE!

Bryce’s thoughts- “I like this one the best, it actually tastes like what it’s suppose to taste like…there’s no surprises.”

fullsizerender-48

nutrition bars

Out of these 5 bars which is your favorite?

Have you ever tried any of these bars?

What do you look for in a healthy bar?

Linking up with Thinking Out Loud!

• Reply shaniece November 10, 2016 at 6:33 am

I agree with you and Bryce, Perfect Bars are my all time favorite. I love that all the ingredients are natural and I can pronounce all the words lol.
    shaniece recently posted…5 Health Benefits of YogaMy Profile

• Reply Diana Becker November 10, 2016 at 9:23 am

YES!! Being able to pronounce all the ingredients and actually knowing everything that’s in your food is the most important part! I seriously don’t even look at calories anymore.

• Reply Jess @hellotofit November 10, 2016 at 6:42 am

Perfect Bars are by far my favorite, for the same reasons you outline – they don’t taste fake, AT ALL. And they’re not powdery/chalky like other nutrient-rich bars. YUM.
    Jess @hellotofit recently posted…Almond Stuffed Pumpkin Spice DatesMy Profile

• Reply Diana Becker November 10, 2016 at 9:24 am

Have you tried the new flavors Jess? The coconut peanut butter is TO DIE FOR!!!!

• Reply Allie @ Miss Allie's Kitchen November 10, 2016 at 11:29 am

I really love chewy things so, I am always down for an RX bar. I am CRAZY for their ingredient list, and I agree, Perfect Bar is also fantastic. I’ve never tired SquareBars, but to be honest, I don’t see spending that much on a bar that has that much added crap, lol. They seem too much like a candy bar to me, I’m so glad you did this. I’m sharing this with my readers, for sure!

• Reply Diana Becker November 10, 2016 at 2:13 pm

Square Bars pretty much are candy bars but they are SO GOOD! I like having like half of one after dinner mmmm!

• Reply Mackenzie November 10, 2016 at 2:00 pm

I have yet to try a lot of these! Thanks for the reviews! My two favorite bars are Quest bars and NoCow bars. The Quest are seriously addictive! The flavors are insane. Have you tried them? I would recommend smores or cookie dough. NoCow have a more gritty texture but I love that (weirdly) especially with coffee. My favorite is the raspberry truffle and lemon meringue! The macros of the two bars are very similar (super high in protein-around 20g, 4g net carbs, about 170-200 calories, and low sugar!). If you haven’t tried them- definitely worth it! They are a great snack to keep you full and fueled on a busy day!

• Reply Diana Becker November 10, 2016 at 2:15 pm

You have to try some of them Mackenzie! I use to be OBSESSED with cookies and cream Quest Bars and loved how balanced their protein to carb ratio was. The only thing I dislike about Quest is the artificial sweeteners/ sugar alcohols in some of them πŸ™ I’ve been on a real food kick! I have never heard of NoCow bars…checking those out ASAP!

• Reply rachel @ athletic avocado November 10, 2016 at 2:40 pm

And this is why I have to try perfect bars! Thank you for your honest opinions! πŸ™‚
    rachel @ athletic avocado recently posted…Gooey Flourless Cinnamon Toffee Blondies {Gluten-Free, Paleo + Vegan!}My Profile

• Reply Jill @ RunEatSnap November 10, 2016 at 5:47 pm

I am going to try Perfect Bar! I absolutely hated RX Bar and I am sad to hear your review of the new Lara because I love the original Lara (cookie dough!).
    Jill @ RunEatSnap recently posted…Photography Website, SELF.com & Prairie Dogs – Thinking Out Loud #5My Profile

• Reply Diana Becker November 11, 2016 at 8:54 am

Oh regular Lara Bars are like my go-to bars I love them but these new ones but taste terrible πŸ™ I think you’ll really enjoy Perfect Bars- my favorites are the almond coconut and peanut butter!

• Reply Kellen November 10, 2016 at 6:17 pm

Perfect bars are by far my favorite!! I hated Go Macro bars when I tried them and I do like Lara Bars usually but they aren’t as filling (less protein). I haven’t tried Square Bars but my sister loves them! I think I’ll stick with the clear winner, Perfect BarπŸ˜‰

• Reply Diana Becker November 11, 2016 at 8:55 am

I need to eat about 5 Lara Bars to get as full as I get from 1/2 a Perfect Bar- need those healthy fats and protein to fill me up πŸ™‚ Have you tried the new coconut peanut butter Perfect Bar…SOOOOO GOOD!

• Reply Liv @ Healthy Liv November 10, 2016 at 8:14 pm

I’ve been hesitant to try out the new organic superfood Larabars because they didn’t sound good to me. Glad to read your review and think that’s a good call! Regular Larabars are my favorite bars out there!
    Liv @ Healthy Liv recently posted…Best-Ever Healthy Apple CrispMy Profile

• Reply Diana Becker November 11, 2016 at 8:56 am

Regular Lara Bars are soo good but they did something funky to these new ones. I’d still try them since they’re so cheap and would love to hear what you think πŸ™‚

• Reply Cayanne Marcus @healthyezsweet November 11, 2016 at 9:24 am

Love this!! I’ve been seeing these bars all over social media too and feeling major FOMO. Admittedly, I stay away from bars and choose more whole foods with the exception of Perfect bars sometimes because they’re so fresh and natural. Good to know I’m not missing out on anything with those others!!
    Cayanne Marcus @healthyezsweet recently posted…That Time Wine Made Me A Better FeministMy Profile

• Reply Diana Becker November 11, 2016 at 12:38 pm

HAHA seeing these bars all of Instagram is exactly where I got the inspiration for this post!

• Reply Rachel (LittleChefBigAppetite) November 11, 2016 at 9:55 am

I LOVE bars, but I am super picky about the ingredients. Why do they all gotta have so much dang sugar!? I’ve never tried Perfect Bars!! Now I’m going to seek them out!

• Reply Diana Becker November 11, 2016 at 12:39 pm

Ughhhh right! Yeah I can’t say enough wonderful things about Perfect Bars the only sweetener is organic honey and for the vegan almond coconut flavor the only sweetener is organic dates… YES PLEASE!

• Reply Emily November 11, 2016 at 12:08 pm

Okay, so I think I like similar ones to Bryce; Perfect Bars are definitely my favorite, and I just couldn’t get really excited about Go Macro or RX Bars because of the chewiness. I do like the Square Bars occasionally too. πŸ™‚

• Reply Diana Becker November 11, 2016 at 12:41 pm

Exactly why I love having him give his opinion too πŸ™‚ The chewiness is the worst. I swear I almost pulled my teeth out trying to chew the last Rx bar I ate haha!

• Reply Lisa @ Mile by Mile November 11, 2016 at 4:08 pm

Very interesting! I havent tried any of these so this is good to know. I eat regular larabars all the time and I love most of the flavors!

• Reply Diana Becker November 14, 2016 at 9:08 am

I eat regular Lara Bars ALL THE TIME too so was so excited to see the new ones with added superfoods– just not good in my opinion πŸ™

• Reply SkinnyMe November 19, 2016 at 2:19 am

I love bars. Convenient for camping, hiking or exercising, or even just to serve as a healthy and convenient meal substitute.

• Reply Mike November 27, 2016 at 5:19 am

Haha, I like bryce’ thoughts on them. Why are they always so chewy!

• Reply Betty November 28, 2016 at 7:04 am

Thanks for sharing.
    Perfect bars are my favorite and I always have it at home or in my backpack πŸ™‚ love it, yummy!