There are 2 kinds of people during the holidays: the ones who have everything planned weeks in advance and those who will be scrambling around Wednesday night at 9:00 pm to find a turkey.
I tend to be the latter.
In fact I just figured out TODAY what I need to bring for Thanksgiving dinner– thankfully it’s just booze and an appetizer haha!
But with work, traveling, grocery shopping…etc this week just figuring out an appetizer to bring is overwhelming right now. Then I remembered this incredible hummus recipe I saw on What’s Gaby Cooking a couple weeks ago. Gaby actually makes her own hummus and PEELS the chickpeas…seriously? Ain’t nobody got time for that!
In true lazy girl, last minute fashion I decided to try this recipe out this past weekend using my favorite Trader Joe’s hummus and you know what…IT’S FABULOUS, takes less than 5 minutes to make, healthy and oh so very festive. Doesn’t get much better than that!
So if you’re figuring everything out for Thanksgiving last minute like me you’ll love this super easy appetizer!
Honestly, I don’t ever measure the ingredients for this hummus so don’t stress about busting out your measuring cups. Simply top your hummus with the following ingredients and maybe do more of what you like and less of what you don’t….you get it!
- 1 tub of plain hummus
- 1/2 small red onion (diced)
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1/2 cup toasted chickpeas
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- optional: pita chips, pita bread, fresh veggies for dipping
All the ingredients I used were from Trader Joe’s!
1. Heat a skillet over medium heat and add about 1/2 cup of chickpeas. Stirring often toast the chickpeas for about 5 minutes or until golden. Set aside.
2. Scoop hummus out of container into a medium/ large serving bowl. Then working in layers add the onion, feta, chickpeas, pomegranate seeds and parsley on top of the hummus. The ingredients can be layered in whatever order you’d like!
Working in layers add all the ingredients…mmmmm!
I had to stop and take a picture of this…how perfect for Christmas!!
Oh heck yes…allllllll the toppings!
But seriously how fun, festive and delicious does this look!
3. Serve immediately with pita chips, pita bread, fresh veggies…whatever you want! I personally like this best with pita chips or cucumbers…so good!
Sorry for the hummus porn guys but it’s just too pretty!
4. Dip & enjoy!
Enjoy the perfect bite!
Are you a last minute person during the holidays?
What do you like to top your hummus with?
What is your go-to easy holiday appetizer?
Don’t forget to PIN IT:
++This recipe is slightly adapted from What’s Gaby Cooking’s Loaded Hummus!