For me breakfast has to be the following:
- Something healthy
- Something filling
- Something super easy or something I can make ahead of time like egg muffins or overnight oats
I’m a firm believer that breakfast sets the tone for your entire day. Fueling your body in the morning not only jump starts your metabolism but also helps you make better food choices throughout the day.
So what does a proper breakfast contain? Healthy fats, protein and healthy carbs! An example being my favorite breakfast EVER right now: cinnamon breakfast sweet potatoes (carbs), 1/2 avocado (fats) and 2 eggs (protein). Yes it’s a ton of food BUT guess who isn’t reaching for a sugary latte or doughnut at work….THIS GIRL!
Speaking of sweet potatoes…I mentioned on Monday how they have been saving my life on the 21 Day Sugar Detox. My body has been loving having healthy carbs first thing and it’s been a night and day difference controlling my cravings and hunger throughout the day. Also, sweet potatoes have some pretty amazing health benefits…
Health Benefits of Sweet Potatoes:
- High in fiber to help aid digestion and keep you full
- High in vitamins C, E, B6 and beta-carotene
- High in antioxidants
- Good for eye health
- Helps lower blood pressure and overall good heart health
- Helps strengthen your immune system
- Helps stabilize blood sugar
I highly recommend swapping out your standard slice of toast or bagel for some variation of a sweet potato in the morning. Your body will thank you!
[Tweet “8 health benefits of sweet potatoes!”]
Cinnamon Breakfast Sweet Potatoes
These cinnamon breakfast sweet potatoes are my favorite way to enjoy sweet potatoes in the morning. I usually make a few batches on Sunday and keep them in the fridge for an easy addition to my typical breakfast of an egg and avocado but if you have the time in the morning nothing in the world except maybe an actual Cinnamon Roll compares to how these smell in the oven!
This recipe is Paleo, Whole 30 and 21DSD* approved so if your body is craving a little extra something in the morning give it some quality carbohydrates!
- 1 orange sweet potato
- 1 regular sweet potato
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 1-2 tsp cinnamon (I like A LOT)
- pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 400
- (optional) Use a vegetable peeler to remove the skins of the potatoes
- Cut the potatoes into medallions then into quarters
4. Place the potatoes into a large bowl and toss with the melted coconut oil, cinnamon and salt until evenly coated
5. Lay the potatoes onto a nonstick baking sheet or one lined with parchment paper in a single layer and bake for 20 minutes
6. Remove from oven and consume right away or store in an air tight container in the fridge for 3-5 days or until they last (which probably won’t be very long with how good they smell)!
[Tweet “Cinnamon breakfast sweet potato recipe! #Paleo #Whole30 #21DSD”]
Do you like sweet potatoes?
Is the orange sweet potato actually a yam? I never know haha!
What’s your favorite way to make sweet potatoes?
Don’t forget to PIN IT for later…
*Approved for the energy modifications for those who are very active during 21DSD