Cooking during the summer is THE WORST!
It’s legitimately 85 degrees here in San Diego with 90% humidity and a chance of thunderstorms. SAY WHAT?!? Considering I can hardly sit on my couch to write this post without sweating there is no way I’m turning on an oven or standing over a hot skillet to cook dinner.
Enter my favorite cooking invention ever…the crock-pot.
You guys, I don’t think I could survive without a crock-pot. It takes all the fuss out of cooking meat, doesn’t make your house 983457984 degrees and anything you cook in a crock-pot is delicious.
So to help you all out in this heat I wanted to share one of my favorite crock-pot meals EVER. These Jerk Chicken Tacos are originally from The Skinnytaste Cookbook but I’ve made some modifications and can’t wait to share this delicious, easy, healthy, summer meal with you all.
So you’re kind of getting a 2 for 1 deal with this blog post.
I’m first going to share the Mango Salsa recipe which is incredible with these tacos but also absolutely delicious with other meats (fish/chicken), by itself or to eat with chips/crackers.
- 2 mangoes (cut into small cubes) (or just 1-2 cups of frozen, thawed mango)
- 1 large avocado (cut into small cubes)
- juice of 2 limes
- 1/4 red onion (diced)
- 3-4 tbsp chopped cilantro
- sprinkle of salt, pepper and cayenne to taste
- combine all ingredients together and serve (I like this best when it’s been in the fridge for an hour or two before serving so the flavors really come together)
Crockpot Jerk Chicken Tacos
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3-4 tbsp jerk seasoning (I love Walkerswood Jerk Seasoning from Amazon- FYI the “hot” is VERY spicy”
- 1.5-2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- juice of 2 limes
- juice of 1 large orange
- 2-3 tbsp chopped cilantro
- dash of salt and pepper
- shredded purple cabbage
- 12 corn or flour taco sized tortillas (I like the brand La Fe)
- place all ingredients into a crock-pot and cook on high for 2-3 hours
- shred chicken while still in crock-pot so it stays moist from all the delicious juices
- heat the tortillas in a skillet or the microwave
- place chicken and purple cabbage into the tortillas and top with the Mango Salsa
What’s your favorite crock-pot meal?
Do you love mangoes?
What’s your favorite summer meal?