Let’s talk eggs!
To eat the yolk or not to eat the yolk…that is the question!
Personally, I’m 100% pro yolk. Egg yolks have a bad reputation for being high in cholesterol but let’s clear things up.
Recent studies have shown little to no link between dietary cholesterol (found in eggs) and high blood cholesterol levels. The real issue with high cholesterol is the consumption of saturated and trans fats.
It’s crazy isn’t it that people don’t even blink an eye before eating a giant slice of pizza or a doughnut but they hear egg yolks and freak out!
The egg yolk actually has some incredible health benefits, for example:
- Yolks contain 7 vitamins: A, D, E, K, B6, B12 and Folate- Did you know egg yolks are one of the only foods where Vitamin D is found naturally? Source
- Contains minerals like magnesium, calcium, iron, potassium, sodium, selenium and chromium (more on chromium below)
- Contains carotenoids (lutein and zeaxanthin) that promote eye health
- Contain omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids- The GOOD fats!
- Helps reduce LDL cholesterol (bad) and raise HDL cholesterol (good)