Let’s take a minute and talk about Halloween candy shall we?
That sh*t is AWFUL for you!
Just how awful…check out these nutrition facts on some of the most popular Halloween candies:
- Rolo Caramels in Milk Chocolate: 1 Rolo (6g): 27 calories, 0.9 g sat fat, 3.7 grams sugar
- Wonka Mini Laffy Taffy: 1 mini taffy (8.6g): 30 calories, 0.3g sat fat, 4.2g sugar
- Hershey’s Assorted Miniatures: 1 miniature (8.6g): 42 calories, 1.4 g sat fat, 4.4g sugar
- Starburst Fun Size: 2 Starburst candies: 40 calories, 0.8g sat fat, 6g sugar
- Smarties: 1 roll (7g): 25 calories, 0g fat, 6g sugar
- Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Fun Size: 1 bar (0.49 oz): 77 calories, 2.7g sat fat, 7g sugar
- Kit Kat Wafer Bar, Snack Size: 1 bar (0.49 oz/14g): 70 calories, 2.3g sat fat, 7g sugar
- Reese’s Pieces Snack Size: 1 bag (13g): 67 calories, 2.7g sat fat, 7.3g sugar
I’ve been blogging now for a little over 1 year… CRAZY how fast time flies when you’re trying to create meaningful content week after week.
In celebration of my blog’s first birthday I went back and looked through some of my first posts and it was incredible to see just how far I’ve come in 1 short year. I believe my photography has improved, my content has gotten much more valuable and I’ve stopped blogging for myself and have been focusing on blogging for my readers. My goal with Live Lean Eat Green is to share some parts of my personal life but mostly to inform and educate everyone on healthy eating and fitness by providing quick tips, nutrition facts, easy recipes…etc.
Last Halloween I gave you all my “Healthy Holiday” rant.
Just in case you missed it… I’m going to go over it again because I think it’s so important!
Halloween kicks off the holiday
season sugar binge! Think about it, In the next 3 months we have Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years…all holidays centered around food, dessert and booze!
So many people go into a mindset this time of year thinking “Oh, I’ll worry about exercise in January” or “I’m going to eat whatever I want until New Years then make my resolution to lose 20 lbs.”
NO. NO. NO.
The words “Halloween” and “healthy” don’t often go together. Halloween kicks off the holiday sugar binge strong and it does not stop until New Years! But seriously, in the next 3 months we have Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas all holidays centered around sugar and eating until we’re stuffed.
This year I challenge you to have a healthy Halloween! Be inspired and think outside of the box for fun meals and treats to get you into the holiday spirit and not into the next size up in jeans…you with me?
These stuffed jack-o-lanterns are so easy to make and are absolutely delicious. You can use your favorite pepper stuffing mixture or use my recipe below that I modified from Skinnytaste.com’s Turkey Stuffed Peppers.
- 6 bell peppers (any color)
- 1 tsp olive or avocado oil
- 16oz 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 can black beans
- 3/4 cups corn (frozen or fresh)
- 1 jalapeño pepper (chopped)
- 2 medium tomatoes (chopped)
- 1-2 cloves garlic (minced)
- ½ onion (chopped)
- 2 Tbsp cilantro (chopped)
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 16oz jar of your favorite salsa
- *optional: your favorite cheese to top (I used jalapeño cheddar)